Scientist Says Storing Wine Sideways is ‘Bullshit'
From intricate storage racks to humidified wine cellars, conventional wisdom tells us the key to storing wine is keeping the cork moist. We do this by storing bottles on their sides, preventing the corks from drying out at all cost. But according to scientist Dr. Miguel Cabral, none of this is true.
As reported in the Drinks Business, Cabral, who is the director of R&D for Portuguese cork company Amorim, says the belief that wine should be in contact with cork at all times - and hence, stored on its side - is apparently “bullshit.”
“The cork will never dry out with almost 100 percent humidity in the headspace, so it is a myth that you need to store a bottle on its side,” Cabral said during a discussion in Portugal last week. He went on to dispel the “myth” that wine needs to be stored in a damp cellar.
“The humidity of the environment around the bottle won't have any influence, because the cork is influenced by the humidity inside the bottle,” he said.
Cabral claims his theory is backed by a study published...
The last Posts from "Vine Pair"
- Anheuser-Busch Launches Low-Cal Mead, Is a High-Key Hypocrite
- Toronto Restaurants Offering Kawhi Leonard Free Food & Wine for Life If He Stays With Raptors
- We Asked 15 Sommeliers: What's the Most Expensive Wine You Ever Tasted?
- 8 Things You Should Know About Sapporo Beer
- Never Drink Bourbon With BBQ, Says This South Carolina Pitmaster
- Diageo Introduces 26-Week Paid Maternity & Paternity Leave Policy
- Domaine Paul Pillot Bourgogne Aligoté 2017, Burgundy, France
- Hop Take: Sierra Nevada ‘Resilience IPA' Brews Up Drama
- More Headlines, Fewer Bottles: The Rise of Clickbait Scotch
- Getting Married? Busch Guy Will Officiate, Provide the Beer, and Pay For The Party
- Scientists Resurrect Ancient Egyptian Beer
- Light, Bright, Definitely Not Sprite: 20 of the Best Spiked Seltzers to Try
- Is Athens, Greece the Best Cocktail City in Europe?
- How to Get the Most Out of Your First Homebrew Kit
- 220-Year-Old Beer Recipe Resurrected by Belgian Monks
- World's Best Movie Theater Lets You Bring Your Dog and Has Bottomless Wine
- A Guide to the Calories, Carbs, and ABV in America's Best-Selling Beers
- Raising a Glass to Baba au Rhum, Alain Ducasse's ‘Favorite' Dessert
- ‘Drink With Your Dog' Training Teaches Pups Brewery Manners
- Ask Adam: Can I Age Fireball Whisky?
The headlines of Food Drink Buzz
How to make Delicious Oreo IceCream with 3 ingredients How to make...
How to make Delicious Oreo IceCream with 3 ingredients | Homemade Oreo Icecream Recipe |No Egg ====================================================== Oreo ice cream is...
Weight Watcher Chicken Marsala
A rich brown sauce made with Marsala wine that envelopes the chicken and infuses the mushrooms forms a mouthwatering dish that tantalizes your taste buds in this episode of POV...
Jack Fruit Curry Recipe
Try Indian jack Fruit Curry Recipe. A great blend of Taste and Helth
Vegan Chocolate Pancakes
Fluffy vegan chocolate pancakes you can whip up with just 8 ingredients that you probably already have at hand.
GF Vegan Crunchy Chocolate Granola
This GF Vegan Crunchy Chocolate Granola is so easy to make & absolutely delicious with it's rich chocolate flavor & perfect crunchy texture!
Get Excited! We Found the Best Deals on Instant Pots This Weekend
It's time to hop on this trend.
The Best Ever Tuna Poke
So easy to make at home! Light, fresh, healthy and delicious! Loaded with the freshest tuna and all the flavors you dream of!
Gluten Free Crackers Recipe
Gluten Free Crackers are so easy to make requiring only four ingredients! Terrific for snacking on or to add to a charcuterie board.
Mario Batali Pleads Not Guilty to Assault and Battery of a Woman in Boston...
He allegedly kissed and groped a woman against her will in 2017 Mario Batali pleaded not guilty on Friday morning to indecent assault and battery of a woman that he allegedly...
Just 25 Gorgeous Pillows That Will Give Any Couch Serious Life
Even a couch that's already brimming with charisma can benefit from the addition of a throw pillow or two. That's true whether the pillow adds a bright and cheery splash of...
Smoked Mackerel Pasta Salad
Smoked mackerel pasta salad is a delicious fish dish with roasted asparagus, cherry tomatoes and rocket. It's the perfect summer dinner!
New Cooks and Seasoned Chefs Alike Will Fall in Love With This Essential...
I fancy myself as a relatively competent cook; I can follow a recipe, and I have a basic idea of what flavors compliment each other, but I'm no Ina Garten. Because I'm not the...
Gluten Free Pizza Crust Recipe
This fantastic thin-crust recipe for gluten free pizza is achieved with a carefully-curated blend of flours for delicious flavour.